PRESS RELEASE BY THE PARLIAMENTARY SECRETARIAT FOR PLANNING AND THE PROPERTY MARKET AND BY THE PARLIAMENTARY SECRETARIAT FOR EUROPEAN FUNDS AND SOCIAL DIALOGUE: Euros 2 million for the restoration of balconies in the southern part of Valletta

Parliamentary Secretary for Planning and the Property Market Chris Agius and Parliamentary Secretary for European Funds and Social Dialogue Aaron Farrugia launched a new scheme as part of the project towards the regeneration of the southern part of Valletta.

80% of this scheme is financed by European funds and the remaining 20% by the Planning Authority, amounting to Euros 2 million.

This scheme, which is being led by the Planning Authority, is part of a holistic initiative aimed towards addressing social challenges in the economic, environmental, climatic and demographic sectors which affect specific urban zones in Malta. The port zone was identified as an urban zone where integrated action for sustainable urban development is most necessary.

Residents of the zone will be able to apply so that building facades are given a new appearance through the restoration of a number of balconies in a dilapidated state, while those not constructed of traditional materials will be replaced with traditional wooden balconies.

Parliamentary Secretary Agius said that our country’s traditional balconies form an important part of our heritage and therefore this scheme has its own importance as it will not only lead to the restoration of heritage but also means that their continued use will be encouraged.

Chris Agius urged residents to take advantage of this scheme which is planned to cover up to Euros 8,000 of eligible costs for each restored balcony.

This is another important initiative that, which like the initiative Irrestawra Darek, helps our country exploit the full potential of our architectural heritage. We have already witnessed the success of Irrestawra Darek, which was launched earlier this year, and we look forward to more success with this new scheme, said the Agius.

Aaron Farrugia explained that the scheme has the aim of developing work addressing the specific needs of communities living in the southern part of the port region.

The regeneration project of the southern part of Valletta will be providing an economic stimulus in the area, and will improve the visual impact of buildings as well as the quality of life of residents, said Farrugia.

The Executive Chairperson of the Planning Authority said that the scheme seeks to help alleviate the financial cost of restoring and maintaining traditional balconies, especially those made out of timber, to encourage their continued use. The grant scheme is being made available for open and closed balconies within properties that are used as residences.

This year, 1,141 properties from private owners of residences located within an Urban Conservation Area (UCA) benefitted from the scheme Irrestawra Darek. Through this scheme, the Authority financed 148 pensioners, 36 persons with special needs, and 50 registered voluntary organisations.

The scheme will be open for 3 months until Friday 31st January 2019, and works need to be completed by 30th September 2019.

Source: Government of Malta


Related Posts

PRESS RELEASE BY THE PARLIAMENTARY SECRETARIAT FOR PLANNING AND THE PROPERTY MARKET AND BY THE PARLIAMENTARY SECRETARIAT FOR EUROPEAN FUNDS AND SOCIAL DIALOGUE: Euros 2 million for the restoration of balconies in the southern part of Valletta

Parliamentary Secretary for Planning and the Property Market Chris Agius and Parliamentary Secretary for European Funds and Social Dialogue Aaron Farrugia launched a new scheme as part of the project towards the regeneration of the southern part of Valletta.

80% of this scheme is financed by European funds and the remaining 20% by the Planning Authority, amounting to Euros 2 million.

This scheme, which is being led by the Planning Authority, is part of a holistic initiative aimed towards addressing social challenges in the economic, environmental, climatic and demographic sectors which affect specific urban zones in Malta. The port zone was identified as an urban zone where integrated action for sustainable urban development is most necessary.

Residents of the zone will be able to apply so that building facades are given a new appearance through the restoration of a number of balconies in a dilapidated state, while those not constructed of traditional materials will be replaced with traditional wooden balconies.

Parliamentary Secretary Agius said that our country’s traditional balconies form an important part of our heritage and therefore this scheme has its own importance as it will not only lead to the restoration of heritage but also means that their continued use will be encouraged.

Chris Agius urged residents to take advantage of this scheme which is planned to cover up to Euros 8,000 of eligible costs for each restored balcony.

This is another important initiative that, which like the initiative Irrestawra Darek, helps our country exploit the full potential of our architectural heritage. We have already witnessed the success of Irrestawra Darek, which was launched earlier this year, and we look forward to more success with this new scheme, said the Agius.

Aaron Farrugia explained that the scheme has the aim of developing work addressing the specific needs of communities living in the southern part of the port region.

The regeneration project of the southern part of Valletta will be providing an economic stimulus in the area, and will improve the visual impact of buildings as well as the quality of life of residents, said Farrugia.

The Executive Chairperson of the Planning Authority said that the scheme seeks to help alleviate the financial cost of restoring and maintaining traditional balconies, especially those made out of timber, to encourage their continued use. The grant scheme is being made available for open and closed balconies within properties that are used as residences.

This year, 1,141 properties from private owners of residences located within an Urban Conservation Area (UCA) benefitted from the scheme Irrestawra Darek. Through this scheme, the Authority financed 148 pensioners, 36 persons with special needs, and 50 registered voluntary organisations.

The scheme will be open for 3 months until Friday 31st January 2019, and works need to be completed by 30th September 2019.

Source: Government of Malta


Related Posts